Part I: Listening Comprehension (15%)
Section A Short Conversation(10%)
Directions: In this section, you will hear 10 short conversations. At the end of each conversation, a question will be asked about what was said. Both the conversation and the question will be spoken twice. After each question there will be a pause. During the pause you must read the four choices marked A), B), C), and D), and decide which is the best answer.
1. A) 540. B) 1,080.
C) 2,160. D) 270.
2. A) John will be there at 8:30. B) John is usually late.
C) John will not show up. D) John is usually on time.
3. A) He didn’t like the teacher. B) He has met the new teacher.
C) The new teacher is sick. D) He hasn’t met the new teacher.
4. A) To the General Manager’s office. B) To a post office.
C) To a department store. D) To the General Manager’s home.
5. A) A retired worker. B) A manager.
C) A store keeper. D) A dentist.
6. A) She doesn’t remember much about Portland.
B) She’s never been to Portland.
C) She knows someone else who could help him.
D) She’d be happy to talk to the man later.
7. A) After eight. B) At eight.
C) After nine. D) At nine.
8. A) It will take at least two evenings to do the work.
B) Two evenings is enough to do the work.
C) It will take at least than a week to do the work.
D) Dr. Smith is going to check their work in a week’s time.
9. A) Mother and son. B) Teacher and student.
C) Father and daughter. D) Brother and sister.
10. A) Five days. B) Four weeks.
C) A week. D) A few days.