Part II: Vocabulary and structure (20%)
Directions: There are 20 incomplete sentences in this part. For each sentence there are four choices marked A, B, C and D. Choose the one answer that best completes the sentence. Then mark the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet with a single line through the center.
13. It is obvious that concrete bridges are superior _____ wooden bridges.
A. with B. to C. against D. for
14. During the past twenty years, there have been _____ changes in the country;
A. permanent B. powerful C. imaginary D. dramatic
15. The young man who came to your rescue in the accident was _____ my friend.
A. no other than B. not other than
C. none other than D. less other than
16. Beijing is _____ that we can hardly visit all the beautiful places in two or three days. A. such a large city B. such large a city C. so a large city D. a such large city 17. The Italian boy was regarded as a hero _____ he gave his life for his country.
A. according to B. because of C. on account of D. because
18. Not until began to work _____ how much time I had wasted.
A. didn't I realize B. did I realize C. I didn't realize D. I realize
19. _____ of the students in Class One ____ already seen the movie.
A. Three fourths, have B. Third fourths, have
C. Four thirds, have D. Three fourths, has
20. Was it because there was too much noise there _____ he wanted to move to the suburbs?
A. where B. then C. that D. why
21. No matter _____ happened , he would not say a word.
A. whatever B. what C. when D. where
22. Those who let children who are _____ go swimming in the river are foolish.
A. too young to B. so young C. not old enough to D. young enough
23. We have come to the conclusion _____ this summer will be much hotter than before.
A. for B. but C. that D. when
24. Dick picked up the broken cup and tried _____ to put them together.
A. in person B. in vain C. in time D. in order
25. The number of the trucks produced in our factory this year _____ in yours. A. is more than that B. are more that those
C. is larger than that D. are larger than those
26. Another driver had just driven into the back of Bob's car _____ he was waiting at some traffic lights.
A. since B. once C. while D. as
27. A beautiful ____ of the whole town from the top floor of Great Hotel made a deep impression on me.
A. view B. vision C. look D. appearance
28. Because of _____ you have done, things became much worse.
A. that B. what C. which D. whom
29. All the letters _____, Bethe took them to the post office.
A. had been writing B. having been written C. wrote D. had written
30. The little boy dare not tell his parents what he did, _____ they would not forgive him.
A. in case B. for fear that C. that D. since
31. We've tested three hundred types of boot, _____ is completely waterproof. A. no of which B. none of which C. some of that D. neither of them
32. . We must stop now. It is time we _____ home.
A. have gone B. are going C. were going D. will go